Am I allowed to attend my child’s counselling session?
Rest assured that James Ising specialist child counsellors and psychologists will wish to speak with both you and your child (before or) during the first appointment. Some parents/carers prefer to negotiate an initial adults-only session to discuss any concerns with their child’s counsellor – these sessions are arranged at the discretion of your James Ising practitioner.
Ongoing, child counselling is most effective as a combination of child-only and joint parent-child sessions. Your James Ising counsellor will assess your family’s circumstances during the initial session, and recommend a course of counselling to best meet your child’s needs.
What happens in my child’s counselling sessions?
Your child’s James Ising counsellor or psychologist may use a combination of talk, art and play therapy in each session, depending on the age and individual needs of your child.
Specialist child counselling is practical and solutions-focused. Your James Ising counsellor will:
- Speak with both you and your child to gain a clear, balanced understanding of the situation
- Establish achievable outcome/s that both you and your child are motivated to achieve (more peace at home, being able to catch the bus to school, attending school most of the time)
- Help you and your child define a shared understanding of what needs to happen for everyone to have their needs met
- Co-ordinate counselling sessions involving only your child, only yourself, and joint sessions
- Make recommendations of steps you can take to support your child
- Review progress with everyone
- Celebrate breakthroughs and successes
- Be clear about barriers and address them
- Review the plan, and maintain the improvements achieved
Will the counsellor keep me updated?
Absolutely! Your James Ising counsellor will be available to answer any questions you may have, and keep you up to date with regards to your child’s progress. James Ising specialist child counsellors and psychologists will help your child to feel happy, secure and confident within themselves and your family dynamic.
James Ising also provides specialist parenting counselling to support you in developing effective parenting strategies. Essential skills include modelling (and encouraging!) desirable social behaviours for your child, and adopting appropriate verbal and physical responses whenever your child is exhibiting unsafe or disrespectful behaviour. James Ising family counselling is another excellent option, especially if you’re wanting to address issues as a family unit.